Senior Fibre Test Development Engineer
Perm, Circa 40k
Our client is a leading designer and manufacturer of fiber lasers for use in cutting, welding and marking applications in a wide range of industries. They are looking to recruit a Senior Fibre Test Development Engineer to join their business. This will suit someone either from a optical fibre or opto-electronics background with a good physics grounding.
As part of the Fibre Development engineering team, this role will develop specialist tests to measure optical fibre properties relevant to fibre laser fabrication (eg photodarkening, spectroscopy, mode control, microbending). This role is also responsible for optical fibre manufacture and characterisation as part of multidisciplinary project teams and as part of the companies ongoing laser manufacturing activity
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Introduction of diagnostic techniques for laser/amplifier improvement with focus on the impact of fibre properties on laser performance
• Improvement in knowledge of laser materials used in optical fibres, identification of defects and improved understanding of fibre reliability
• Contribution to design of new fibres in liaison with Laser Product and NPI groups
• Innovation and experimentation on pre-production tests
• Transfer of successful tests to production, ensuring training and documentation in place to sustain manufacture within an ISO9001accredited organisation.
• Monitoring and controlling optical fibre manufacturing tests; ensuring best procedures in place, adherence to correct methods and assurance of calibration of test equipment
• Development and documentation of improved fibre characterisation methods including introduction of type approval (*non-routine) tests supporting new product introduction
• Provision of a specialized resource for non-routine fibre tests, including failure diagnosis of fibres following high power use
• Optical fibre or optical fibre laser test and measurement
• Advanced instrumentation skills involving integration of hardware and software
• Project management of innovative technical projects
• Good I.T., data handling and presentation skills
• Industrial experience of lean high technology manufacturing incorporating yield improvement and cost reduction.
• Laser/fibre test specialist
• optical fibre splicing, environmental testing, fibre cleaving, microscopy
• optical and mechanical properties of glasses and polymers
• A minimum 2:1 Degree or higher qualification in; Physics, Optoelectronics, Laser Materials, or closely related discipline